An airline has the right to change the flight date or new destination. If your flight is cancelled, you may be entitled to compensation depending on the distance of the flight when your travel plans don’t go as scheduled.
Flight delayes, cancels, overbooks happen, but that doesn’t mean you have to accept them. The amount of which varies depending on the route: If a flight is cancelled
The air carrier has to offer the air passenger the following and Cash compensation is a payment of:
The choice between reimbursement of the ticket price or re-routing to their destination
Have the ticket refunded or transport to his/her final destination using comparable alternative means;
- 250 euros for flights with a distance of up to 1,500 kilometres
- 400 euros for flights with a distance of between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometres
- 600 euros for flights with a distance of more than 3,500 kilometres
- If a flight is delayed, passengers are entitled to receive assistance and depending on the circumstances, compensation. Depending on the flight distance after 2, 3 or 4 hours:
If a flight is delayed, the airline is required to offer the passengers:
Meals and beverages in reasonable relation to the waiting time. If their onward flight is delayed until the next day (change of date), the airline is required to offer hotel accommodation (including transport) if necessary. It also has to offer passengers telecommunication (2 telephone calls, telex/fax messages or e-mails) facilities.
There are only two cases in which passengers will not be given the above mentioned compensation:
- If the carrier can prove that the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if they have taken all appropriate measures (e.g. weather events and air strike …);
- If the airline company warned the traveller within the period set out in the regulations;
e.g. At flight time, Nancy and Isabel were delayed four hours from Istanbul to Amsterdam Rome, due to heavy fog in Istanbul. They are not entitled to compensation because the delay is due to circumstances beyond the airline’s control.
Delayflights will support your claim with weather reports from the day of your flight.